Wednesday 1 February 2012

Coughs, colds and sneezes.


There seems to be a plethora of bugs floating around this part of the world. So many people are complaining of coughs that won't go away, running noses that start hurting the skin and bunged up sinuses. In short, people are uncomfortable and feeling horrid.


Well, I thought I would share something with you … not my cold … my 5 key steps for getting through one with a sane mind!

1) When I get a tickle at the back of my throat and feel coughing fits start to infect my life I turn towards the bees and their honey. Honey naturally soothes your throat and a teaspoon of golden nectar will help coat the back of it and hopefully take the itch away. I have quickly cast my eyes over the internet and it looks as if a lot of people claim that honey can offer a natural antiseptic, cleansing and an antioxidant boost to the body. The Manuka honey claims to help heal tissue, which sounds like a great benefit if you have been coughing away and your throat is feeling roar.

2) Running noses and harsh paper tissues can be brutal to the skin above the nose and around the mouth. Be kind to yourself and get some proper kleenex for colds. I can't live through a cold with out the Ultra Balm brand as it's soft, (although I dread to read what they put on them to make them work so will!). Also, get a small stick of Dermlaogica's Climate Control. I make sure I put this on around my nose and lips every time I blow my nose and it acts as fantastic conditioner to the skin. It also helps soothe it and take the redness away.

3) Sinuses are massive cavities around the face that store gunky mucus and its best to get rid of the stuff. Steam is the most gentle way to do this so fill a bowl of steaming water, set it on a table with your head over it. Place a towel over your head to make a steam tent and inhale deeply for 10 minutes. You'll need the kleenex on hand as your sinuses will unplug gently but very effectively! You can always pop some essential oils in if you like. The following Neal's Yard Remedy recipe is lovely:

Mix 4 drops of lavender, 2 drops of lemon, 4 drops of pine, 6 drops of tea tree and 1 drop of thyme into a dropper bottle. Then add 4-6 drops of the mix into a steam inhalation and enjoy.

4) Drink loads of water! I would be lost without my pain killers and decongestants when I have a bad cold; sometimes the drugs just get you through and I am no saint and will not go through pain if I don't have to! But I do find that they are really dehydrating to the body, so I make sure that I drink lots of water. If you don't like the thought of cold liquids, simply boil the kettle and add a slice of lemon, a teaspoon of honey, a stick of cinnamon and a knob of root ginger into a cup with the hot water and you are good to go.

5) Finally, when you are well and feeling in tip top shape again, remember to throw away all the things that you have used whilst you where ill and replace them: chuck the toothbrush, Climate Control, tissues and what-nots into the bin and get a fresh supply! Also launder all bed-sheets, towels, P.J's and clothing that you have been wearing and get a fresh lot out. It's a silly little thing, but you don't want bugs hanging around your house, so get rid of them and start a fresh.

Take good care and I hope you all feel better soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Dermalogica