Friday 27 May 2011

Catch Up.

It's been a busy week and I love weeks like the one just past; filled with offering great treatments to my clients and giving them fantastic results, studying with my close friends and having tea and cake with Mum. How wonderful!

Last Thursday I was going to pop down for an evening talk with Eyal Lederman, but in the end I just simply couldn't make it down to Brighton due to time. It was a shame as I was looking forward to hearing his views on Body Harmonics and Postural Assessment, but I am sure there will be another opportunity in the future to hear him talk and ask some questions.

I had a wonderful time yesterday meeting up with my study group and we had 5 hours of discussion on everything from Groin Strains, which is the subject for our assignment this month, as well as ideas on treating neck complaints and what we wanted to write about for our dissertations.

The subject of Massage Therapy within the NHS was bought up yesterday, which is a subject I would like to write more about in forth coming blogs as it is a very heated subject in the world of massage therapy. The main source of frustration for many therapists is: 'Why isn't massage therapy seen as a highly regarded skill that helps people with loco-motor (soft tissue) pain with in the NHS?' I think it is a question with multiple areas of exploration and it isn't a subject that can be blanketed with a simplistic answer. However, I believe it needs to be researched in some depth. We need to look at the roots of massage in the U.K; from the colleges that teach it as a low grade GCSE subject to enable anyone to carry out a Relaxation Massage, to areas of licensing practitioners as well as even our job titles. Our training needs to be raked over the coals to be refined so that we can see how our skills cross over and can stand equally along side Physiotherapists, Osteopaths, Chiropractors etc.

There is so much work to be done in England to enable people to be helped out of their soft tissue based pain and there are a lot of people working very hard towards that objective. It's a serious issue that no amount of Spa Whale Music, dried flowers or dog eared body charts can cover up.

So watch this space! Although it won't be my dissertation subject, it is one that I am very passionate about, so you'll hear about it in the near future no doubt. 

What I'm loving in the Treatment Room today: Dermalogica's Climate Control! It's keeping my once very chapped lips smooth and flake free. 

Music in the Treatment Room today: I'm writing today, so I have my CD collection keeping my company. At the moment I'm listening to Anais Mitchell's Hadestown. However, Alison Krauss and Union Stations' Paper 'Aeroplane' will also be key to the mix this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Dermalogica