Thursday 15 March 2012

Butt Pain.


I was all set to write about Orthopedic Testing this morning, however after the past week in the treatment room I thought that I would start typing about the one part of the body that is under treated and not talked about: your bum/gluts/bottom/butt/behind.

Over the past 12 years I have heard so many people tell me that they have hip pain or lower back ache and even 'the beginning pains of sciatica'. When asked to point to part that hurts, nine times out of ten they will point straight to the middle of their butt.

Your butt is a great part of the body and I think it is gorgeous! Not only does it look aesthetically peachy but it does such an amazing job; it allows us to travel through life. There are some great big muscles, tiny weeny little muscles, tight bands of thick fascia and ligaments and tendons all interweaving around and in-between the pelvis and hips. Anatomically it is a beautiful and intricate part of your body and one that I think would be great to explore over the next few weeks.


We can also look into how we can test for weaknesses and restrictions within this area and the trigger points and referred pain patterns that are associated with the hips and pelvis, so orthopedic testing will get in there some how as well!

So, here is my sketchy plan. I would like to spend some time with you looking through the following things that I see in the treatment room:

  • Generalized Butt Pain
  • Pain radiating through the lower lumbar.
  • Sacrum pain
  • Sciatica
  • Pelvic Girdle Disorders
  • Hip Pain

There is a lot there to go through, but I think as we start getting our bodies fit for the summer; dusting off the bikes to start cycling, getting pedicures so that we can walk more in flip flops and generally being out in the garden more, I think it is a good subject to get in to for this summer.

I will hopefully be peppering the blogs with stretches, exercises and ideas of how to help at home, so don't worry about it being purely treatment room based. Gilbert, my silent skeletal friend, will also be putting a few appearances in to make the anatomy nice and clear for you to follow.

Hopefully we can find a nice flow to the blogs so you can pick them up, read them and maybe take on a few hints and tips to get the pain in your butt kicked out for good!


What I'm loving in the Treatment Room today:


I'm not in the treatment room today. Thursday is my writing day so I can get my teeth stuck into the two chapters of my dissertation that I am having some problems with. The theory is all there by but the structure is lacking. I have a writing week all set out for next week, so with a bit of luck I can break the back of the mid section of work and get it to the point where I can see the finish line. I hope to have the thing done by mid-May so we (Jon and I) can start some heavy editing and referencing. Hand in date is July 15th, so not too long to go now. It's all fun and games … or so I've been told!

Music of the day:

Steve's Ipod in Cafe Milla, Godalming, is allowing me to tap this out with a great selection of easy chill out jazz. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Dermalogica