Tuesday 19 April 2011

Beautiful Hands (Part One)

Not many of you know this about me, but I feel it is about time that I come clean; When I started training in Body Therapy in 1999 I was totally touch phobic. I couldn't receive a hug from family or friends with out feeling like my skin was crawling and I couldn't watch anything like 'Casualty'! How I got from that point to doing my job is for another blog, but I cannot thank my Beauty Therapy Diploma enough which help me through it! It's not an uncommon phobia and not everyone gets over it, but what really helped me was the fact that my course started with Manicures: No one had to touch my torso and I didn't have to shed any clothing, I could simply get used to someone holding my hand and I worked it out from that point on.

Over the few blogs I would like to share my great Neal's Yard - Home Hand Care Manicure with you for you to do at home. Going for a Manicure Treatment at your local salon is something that you should all find time slot in your diary for every 6 weeks if you choose to keep your nails naturally. The reason for this is that I feel that only a Therapist can truly offer you a great treatment for cuticle removal. Clippers, knives and nippers are best handled under a very bright light with steady hands by a trained third person!

I feel that it is vital to look after your hands and nails as it tells the rest of the world that you look after your whole body. You may have a bad skin and hair day, but if your hands and nails are looking neat, everyone will know that tomorrow you'll be looking amazing!

The blogs in this series can all be taken separately, so you can just take a solo blog, carry out the method with the recommended products and know that you will get a great result. Or you can follow the blogs in sequence and carry out a full Home Hand Care Manicure that will take about 45 minutes. If you can make a special time for yourself in the diary each week, I would highly recommend it as it not only gives you time to relax, but it will help reduce your stress levels.
  • Find a room that is comfortable and get all the bits you need for your Home Hand Care Manicure out and ready to use so that you don't have to get up and find things all the time.
  • Turn on your favourite music or radio station
  • Turn off the phone
  • Get yourself a drink of your choosing
  • Tell any family or friends that you may live with that you are out of action for an hour and then shut the door so you can enjoy in peace!

The products that I recommend for your Hand Therapy Home Care are all from Neal's Yard and you can simply click on to my Neal's Yard online shop to order them:

  • Geranium and Orange Hand Wash
  • Nourishing Melissa Hand Polish
  • Melissa Hand Cream
  • Nourishing Melissa Nail Balm
  • Wild Rose Beauty Balm

You will also need to get some:
  • Nail Varnish Remover
  • A nail file
  • Cotton Wool
  • Orange sticks
  • A Nail Buffer
  • A Nail Brush
  • Nail Varnish of your choosing
  • One large bowl
  • One small bowl
  • 2 towels
  • 2 plastic bags (Zip-Lock ones are great!)

Tomorrow we will be looking at the basics of starting your Home Hand Care Manicure and I will be showing you the best way to file your nails and shape them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Dermalogica