Tuesday 6 September 2011

Head and Neck Pain (Part Six)


So the rain keeps coming down in torrents. I half expect to see our two chickens, (Masie and Savvy) jumping into a passing ark! However, this is a great time to sit down and write the final blog based on muscle based head and neck pain.

I was thinking about this blog a lot over the weekend as I wasn't too sure how to approach it. I would like to talk about clients who suffer from head and neck problems and really want massage to help them, but they are unsure of what massage involves.

Well, massage is a holistic based therapy based on the art of easing muscle and connective tissue. Using differing techniques your massage therapist can gently encourage your muscles to lengthen through stretching, they can treat your trigger points with compression and they can help your range of motion through passive joint movements. Massage encourages lymph flow to be improved and can be used to aid detoxification.

The above is so general it's almost useless general knowledge as each treatment I do contains bits and bobs from about 10 different 'styles' of massage. I do Myofascial Release to stretch connective tissue, Thi arm stretches can help release shoulders, compression into trigger points helps to reduce pain patterns, Swedish effluage helps circulation and I tend to use arnica oil as it has very good healing properties.

The reason why it is hard to write about how massage is great for head and neck pain is that each treatment should be based around you! I have some clients that love Myofascial Release, others can't abide it. Arm stretches are amazing if you have a good range of motion, but for people who are stuck in their joints if would be too painful. Arnica is lovely, but some people prefer it if I use no oil at all or one that simply smells different. Again, hot stones are great for a range of people, but for those with thin skin and sensitivity it will just feel like a big burn!

I have steered away from this last blog as it is such a personal one to be honest. The truth is that massage may well 'work for you' and to that extent I always think it is worth investing in three 1 hour sessions. This amount may seem like a lot to start with, however if you just have one session it is really hard to tell what the results will be like for you with your therapist. I always see the first session as an exploration into the problems; an assessment if you like, to find out where we can go from the point I first meet you and where we want to go. The second and third session are very different and that is when the real work can begin after I have had time to think, access and get a treatment plan together.

After three sessions you can safely say that you have given it your best shot and if it gives you fantastic relief then great; you have found your answer! Personally I hope that it is the best answer for you as I believe it can help so, so many people. However if you have given it a good chance to work and it doesn't fit your needs you can move on and try something else. Aromatherapy, Acupuncture, Osteopathy and Reflexology may be best for you and we would discuss that at the point when you felt you needed to move on to something other than Advanced Clinical Massage.

You are on a journey and I feel privileged that you ask me to join you on this part of it! I hope that I can help you for now and that we can work out a way forward together.

What I'm loving in the Treatment Room today:

The warmth! It's so miserable outside it's a real treat to be in the treatment room giving warmth to those who are cold.

Music of the day: 

Old school Robert Plant and Alison Krouss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shop Dermalogica